In Situ MBE
A variety of small sources are located in UHV chambers attached to SEMPA, 4-probe STM, and STM/AFM chambers.
In Situ laser MBE with RHEED, AFM/STM, surface characterization
Laser MBE growth with high pressure RHEED for monitored growth of metals and oxides.
- LEED (Low Energy Electron Diffraction)
- UPS (Ultraviolet Photoemission Spectroscopy) and XPS (X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy)
SEMPA: Scanning electron microscopy with polarization analysis
For nanomagnetism studies. In-plane magnetic field up to 300 mT, coaxial Scanning Auger Microscopy analyzer, growth and analysis chamber with in situ MBE, MOKE, and LEED
Magnetic Property Measurement System (MPMS)
An MPMS sample magnetometer provides solutions for a unique class of sensitive magnetic measurements in key areas such as high-temperature superconductivity, biochemistry, and magnetic recording media.
• High homogeneity magnet configurations of ± 7.0 Tesla
• Continuous Low Temperature Control/Temperature Sweep with Enhanced Thermometry
• Reciprocating Sample Option (RSO) - DC Magnetization absolute sensitivity: 1 x 10-8 emu @ 2,500 Oe
• SQUID AC Susceptibility Measurement, 0.1 Hz to 1KHz
• Horizontal & Vertical Sample Rotators
• Fiber Optic Sample Holder
• Magnet Reset
Ultrahigh Vacuum Cryo 4-probe STM
Four STM tips with separate control for imaging, transport measurement, and manipulation from 10–300 K, in combination with 10 nm resolution SEM and SAM analyzer. Sample prep chamber is attached with provision for MBE sources and sample cleaving. Also attached is a single tip, 50-500K STM/Q-Plus AFM for high resolution and insulating materials.
Ultrahigh Vacuum Variable Temperature AFM/STM
Beam Deflection AFM/STM with in situ growth capabilities
Omicron UHV AFM/STM 20–400 K, combined with in situ PLD growth of metals or oxides with high pressure RHEED, MBE growth, UPS/XPS electron spectroscopies and LEED.
- High Field, Low Temperature STM
State-of-the-art instrument with high stability, 4 K normal operation, 0 to 9 T magnetic field, sample cleaving at low temperature, sample prep chamber, and surface analytical chamber.
- True variable temperature STM for spectroscopy
CNMS designed instrument for single point elastic and inelastic spectroscopy from 10–200 K.
- Low temperature AFM/STM
Joule-Thomson SPECS AFM/STM for molecular imaging and spectroscopy at 1-4 K.
Advanced SPM: air, liquid (cAFM, PFM, ESM, MFM etc)
- Ambient Scanning Probe Microscopy
- Magnetic Force Microscopy
- Electrical Force Microscopy
- Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy
- Conductive Atomic Force Microscopy
- Piezoresponse and Electrochemical Strain Microscopy
- Band excitation PFM
- Switching spectroscopy PFM
- First order reversal curve mapping
- Time relaxation spectroscopy mapping
- Microwave Microscopy
Advanced SPM: glove box
Capabilities provided by other CNMS groups
- Nanomaterials Synthesis and Functional Assembly (Polymers)
- Nanomaterials Theory Institute
- Imaging and Nanoscale Characterization
- Nanomaterials Synthesis and Functional Assembly (Optoelectronics)
- Nanomaterials Synthesis and Functional Assembly (Catalysis)
- Microsocpy, Neutron and X-Ray Scattering Capabilities
- General Characterization Facilities
- Collaborating Facilities