IMAGING FUNCTIONALITY CAPABILITIES
variety of small sources are located in UHV chambers attached
to SEMPA, 4-probe STM, and STM/AFM chambers.
Situ laser MBE with RHEED, AFM/STM, surface characterization
Laser MBE growth with
high pressure RHEED for monitored growth of metals and oxides.
(Low Energy Electron Diffraction)
- UPS (Ultraviolet Photoemission Spectroscopy) and XPS (X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy)
Scanning electron microscopy with polarization analysis
nanomagnetism studies. In-plane magnetic field up to 300 mT,
coaxial Scanning Auger Microscopy analyzer, growth and analysis
chamber with in situ MBE, MOKE, and LEED
Magnetic Property Measurement System (MPMS)
An MPMS sample magnetometer provides solutions for a unique class
of sensitive magnetic measurements in key areas such as high-temperature
superconductivity, biochemistry, and magnetic recording media.
High homogeneity magnet configurations of ± 7.0 Tesla
• Continuous Low Temperature Control/Temperature Sweep with Enhanced
• Reciprocating Sample Option (RSO) - DC Magnetization absolute
sensitivity: 1 x 10-8 emu @ 2,500 Oe
• SQUID AC Susceptibility Measurement, 0.1 Hz to 1KHz
Horizontal & Vertical Sample Rotators
• Fiber Optic Sample Holder
• Magnet Reset
Vacuum Cryo 4-probe STM
Four STM tips with separate control for imaging, transport measurement, and manipulation from 10–300 K, in combination with 10 nm resolution SEM and SAM analyzer. Sample prep chamber is attached with provision for MBE sources and sample cleaving. Also attached is a single tip, 50-500K STM/Q-Plus AFM for high resolution and insulating materials.
Vacuum Variable Temperature AFM/STM
Beam Deflection AFM/STM with in situ growth capabilities
UHV AFM/STM 20–400 K, combined with in situ PLD growth of metals
or oxides with high pressure RHEED, MBE growth, UPS/XPS electron spectroscopies
- High Field, Low Temperature STM
State-of-the-art instrument with high stability, 4 K normal operation, 0 to 9 T magnetic field, sample cleaving at low temperature, sample prep chamber, and surface analytical chamber.
- True variable temperature STM for spectroscopy
CNMS designed instrument for single point elastic and inelastic spectroscopy from 10–200 K.
- Low temperature AFM/STM
Joule-Thomson SPECS AFM/STM for molecular imaging and spectroscopy at 1-4 K.
SPM: air, liquid (cAFM, PFM, ESM, MFM etc)
- Ambient Scanning Probe Microscopy
- Magnetic Force Microscopy
- Electrical Force Microscopy
- Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy
- Conductive Atomic Force Microscopy
- Piezoresponse and Electrochemical Strain Microscopy
- Band excitation PFM
- Switching spectroscopy PFM
- First order reversal curve mapping
- Time relaxation spectroscopy mapping
- Microwave Microscopy
SPM: glove box
provided by other CNMS groups