Advanced SPM: air, liquid, gas, 0-250°C in a controlled cell
- Ambient Scanning Probe Microscopy
- Magnetic Force Microscopy
- Electrical Force Microscopy
- Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy
- Conductive Atomic Force Microscopy
- Heated tip (blueDrive) Atomic Force Microscopy
- Piezoresponse and Electrochemical Strain Microscopy
- Band excitation PFM
- Switching spectroscopy PFM
- First order reversal curve mapping
- Time relaxation spectroscopy mapping
- Microwave Microscopy
- Advanced SPM: glove box
Laser MBE with in situ RHEED, AFM/STM, electron spectroscopies
- In Situ PLD
Laser MBE growth with high pressure RHEED for monitored growth of metals and oxides.
- LEED (Low Energy Electron Diffraction)
- Omicron UHV AFM/STM 20–400 K
- UPS (Ultraviolet Photoemission Spectroscopy) and XPS (X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy)
Samples must be UHV compatible (no volatile polymers, liquids or powders) and vertically mounted to a ~1 cm sample plate. No mapping capabilities.
Magnetic Property Measurement System (MPMS)
An MPMS sample magnetometer provides solutions for a unique class of sensitive magnetic measurements in key areas such as high-temperature superconductivity, biochemistry, and magnetic recording media.
- High homogeneity magnet configurations of ± 7.0 Tesla
- Continuous Low Temperature Control/Temperature Sweep with Enhanced Thermometry
- Reciprocating Sample Option (RSO) - DC Magnetization absolute sensitivity: 1 x 10-8 emu @ 2,500 Oe
- SQUID AC Susceptibility Measurement, 0.1 Hz to 1KHz
- Horizontal & Vertical Sample Rotators
- Fiber Optic Sample Holder
- Magnet Reset
- Complementary to UHV magneto-optical Kerr effect measurements (UHV-MOKE)
Ultrahigh Vacuum Cryo 4-probe STM
Four STM tips with separate control for imaging, transport measurement, and manipulation from 10–300 K, in combination with 10 nm resolution SEM. Sample prep chamber is attached for MBE sources and sample cleaving. Also attached is a single tip, 50-500 K STM/Q-Plus AFM for high resolution and insulating materials. Mapping techniques include scanning tunneling potentiometry for 2D transport and scanning tunneling thermovoltage.
Ultrahigh Vacuum Variable Low Temperature AFM/STM
- Variable Temperature AFM/STM
Several Omicron microscopes combine STM and cantilever or qPlus AFM at 20-400 K with sample preparation and band excitation capabilities.
- High Field, Low Temperature STM
State-of-the-art instrument with high stability, 4 K normal operation, 0 to 9 T magnetic field, sample cleaving at low temperature, sample prep chamber, and surface analytical chamber.
- True variable temperature STM for spectroscopy
CNMS designed instrument for single point elastic and inelastic spectroscopy from 10–200 K.
- Low temperature AFM/STM
Joule-Thomson SPECS AFM/STM for molecular imaging and spectroscopy at 1-4 K.
Capabilities provided by other CNMS groups
- Macromolecular Nanomaterials
- Nanomaterials Theory Institute
- Scanning Probe Microscopy
- Nanofabrication Research Laboratory
- Functional Hybrid Nanomaterials
- Electron Microscopy & Atom Probe Tomography
- Neutron Scattering & X-Ray Capabilities
- General Characterization Facilities